Among most children, milk allergy is very common.
Milk in all forms should be avoided by children allergic to it. “Lactose free” version of milk products, dairy products and milk products must be avoided.
Reading Label for milk :
1. Casein, ghee and galactose contain milk. Read the whole label, milk will be on the list or will be written as “Contains Milk”.
2. The presence of milk protein will be seen on the following ingredients with the label.
3. Milk – nonfat milk, milk solid pastes, non-fat dry milk, nonfat milk solids, powdered milk, skim milk, sweet cream buttermilk powder, sweetened condensed skim milk, etc.
4. Butter – butter fat, dairy butter, natural butter flavor, whipped butter, butter solids, butter extract, etc.
5. Casein and Caseinates – iron caseinate, magnesium caseinate, potassium caseinate, sodium caseinate, zinc caseinate, etc
6. Cheese, Cream, Custards, Curds, Dairy product solids, Ghee, Galactose, Hydrolysates, Half and half, Lactate solids, etc.
7. Milk is also found in Soy cheese, Rice Cheese, Lactic Acid, Lactic Acid starter culture, Flavouring, Natural Flavouring, Caramel Flavouring, High Protein Flour, Etc.
8. Check with doctor before using, but these milk derivatives are generally safe. They are Tagatose and Lactoferrin.
Difference between Milk Allergy and Lactose Intolerance :
Lactose allergy is when the body cannot digest milk sugar in milk products and milk. Cramps, Belly pain and bloating are symptoms of Lactose Intolerance.
Whereas when immune system reacts to milk protein, it is called milk allergy.
Anaphylaxis is possible with milk allergy which will have symptoms like vomiting, difficulty breathing or hives.
Substitutes for Milk :
Legumes, Seeds and grains are alternative to milk. Coconut milk, oat, Hemp, Soy, Sunflower and rice can be included.
If children are not allergic to nuts then nut milk can be used.
The body’s immune system recognises them as same, which is prominent when protein in one food similar to other.
Between milk from other mammals like goat, sheep and cow’s milk there is a big cross-relativity.