Yes, it is healthy to eat cherries during pregnancy. They are full of nutrients, do not avoid them unless you are allergic to them.
Benefits of Eating cherries During Pregnancy:
- Cherries increases immunity abundantly, as they have vitamin C, increase brain health, prevent gestational diabetes.
- Cherries makes you feel energetic, maintain blood pressure levels, help in getting proper sleep as it contains an antioxidant.
- Cherries increase the blood pumping to the fetus which is good, also acts as an expectorant which relieves cold, cough, bronchitis & asthma.
- Cherries avoid constipation due to the fiber present in it, does not let you gain weight as they are low on calories.
- Cherries relieve pains & cure migraines.
Disadvantages of Eating cherries During Pregnancy:
- Some people are allergic to cherries.
Recommended Time to Eat cherries?
- Cherries as morning or evening snacks are also recommended.
Tips to select right cherries to eat during pregnancy:
- Only eat pitted cherries as the leaves, bark and fruit pits have a poisonous chemical.
- Do not eat if you have gestational diabetes.
NOTE: It is always safe to consult your doctor before adding or removing any foods during pregnancy.
Alternatives to cherries:
If you’re allergic to cherries you can also use these alternatives.
- Raspberries – contain high amount of folate, dietary fiber, manganese, iron, etc
- Strawberries – contain folic acid, vitamin C, etc