Yes, Pumpkin is safe to eat during pregnancy.
Benefits Of Eating pumpkins During Pregnancy:
Pumpkin fruit & Pumpkin seeds are very healthy for pregnant women.
- Pumpkin fruit can help prevent & take care cramps you faced during pregnancy, it’s loaded with nutrition, prevents diarrhea, keep blood sugar levels in check & is also protein rich.
- Pumpkin seeds are healthy for the heart as they are rich in zinc. Zinc helps in strengthening the immune system, prevents diabetes, helps soothe delay in menopausal effect and promotes sleep.
- Vitamin A is really essential, which is completely covered by eating a Pumpkin. This Beta-Carotene which is present in pumpkin helps a lot in the development of foetus parts such as lungs, bones, eyes, nerves, heart, circulatory system, etc.
- There is Iron in Pumpkin which helps to carry oxygen to fetus & also lessens chances of premature delivery.
- In order to absorb iron, Vitamin C is should be there in the diet. This is present in Pumpkin.
- Blood pressure level can be kept in control by pumpkin because of Potassium and Magnesium present in them.
- Cholesterol level is also maintained by pumpkin and thus lipid levels are maintained in pregnancy.
- Pumpkins also are said to have an antidepressant effect which helps to the reduce stress of pregnant women.
- Pumpkin also has laxative properties. This relieves hemorrhoids and constipation during pregnancy.
- The Zinc in pumpkin also helps maintain proper growth and brain development in the baby.
It also eliminates Eczema, dysentery and edema.
- The seeds contribute a lot for the pregnant women as they are rich in zinc, magnesium, phosphorus, protein, manganese and phytosterols improving liver function.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are present in it which helps the development of the foetal nervous system.
Nutrients in pumpkin for pregnancy:
Zinc, Vitamin A, Iron, Vitamin C
Disadvantages of Eating pumpkin During Pregnancy:
Overeating Pumpkin may result in abdominal discomfort due to fiber present in it.
In some cases, allergic reactions may occur along with wheezing, vomiting, short breathing, abdominal cramps, but this effect has not been proved yet.
Recommended Time to Eat a Pumpkin?
Pumpkins can be had as evening snacks.
Tips to select right pumpkins to eat during pregnancy:
- Hearing a hollow sound indicates that the pumpkin is ripe.
- The skin should be hard as a shell. It should not have soft spots or bruises.
- A ripe pumpkin can be easily identified if it goes on a vine.
NOTE: It is always safe to consult your doctor before adding or removing any foods during pregnancy.
Alternatives to pumpkin:
If you’re allergic to pumpkin you can also use these alternatives.
– contain high amounts of vital nutrients, so it is very much beneficial to health.