Symptoms of Typhoid fever in children :
Kinds of symptoms in children :
Symptoms of Typhoid fever are seen only after 7 to 14 days after the onset. Rarely some children will not show any symptoms until 2 months after exposure.
The usual symptoms are diarrhea, a sore throat, low energy, a headache, a persistent fever rising gradually to 39’C to 40’C, tiredness, low energy, temporary rash with raised pink spots on stomach or chest, stomach pain & constipation.
Other reasons for same symptoms :
The below list of conditions have been mentioned in sources as possible alternative diagnoses to think about during diagnostic process of Typhoid fever. They are Adult Still’s disease, Tuberculosis, Gastroenteritis, Paratyphoid fever, Parenteric fever, Lymphoma, Q fever, Rickettsial infections, Typho Malarial fever, Brucellosis, Tuberculosis, Infective endocarditis, Acute diarrhea, Viral hepatitis and Malaria.
1. Complete blood count test is done, where the the number of WBC are elevated in case of Typhoid fever.
2. Blood culture test will show clearly the S.typhi bacteria.
3. The other tests will be Platelet count(platelet will be low), Fluorescent antibody study is done to look for substances that are specific to Typhoid bacteria.
4. ELISA urine test is done to check the bacteria type.
5. Stool culture test is also done.