I have listed few places in and around chennai to hang out with kids. Feel free to add more details to the list and share your experiences visiting these places
For few hours or half day outing:
1. Elliots Beach / Besant nagar beach – there is a go kart track which kids will love
2. Marina beach
3. [vanilla place](http://vanillaplace.com/) near Luz
4. Egmore Museum
5. Abirami Mega mall in purasaiwalkam
6. Spencers on Mount road
7. Citi center mall in RK salai
8. Ispahani mall at nungambakkam – that has marrybrown in it
9. In Mylapore next to Rex Fashions there is MGM fun world that also has Marrybrown joint
For 1 day picnics:
3. Fishermen’s cove on ECR
4. Dakshin Chitra on ECR – is a center for the living traditions of art, folk performing arts, craft and architecture of India with an emphasis on the traditions of South India. A project of the Madras Craft Foundation (MCF), a non-profit organisation.
6. vandalur zoo
7. muttukadu on ECR – for boating
8. Kishkintha Amusement Park on ECR
9. Guindy children’s park / Snake Park
10. MGM dizzie world on ECR
11. Pulicat is the second largest brackish-water eco-system on the East Coast. Its a travel of 54 km from CMBT ( Koyambedu), follow the 100 ft Road, from Koyambedu towards reterri side, follow straight till you reach a dead end, where you have to take a left turn, passing thro’ an entry point of “Ennore Port Trust”. Up on entry into Minjur, (opp to Inidan Oil Bunk) take a right turn, cross the Railway level crossing, turn first left & continue following the road, for next 17 km ( You can maintain only 25 km/h due to wavy road with potholes). After this 17 km You would hit a road ” Ponneri- Pulicat” main road, where take a right turn & the 4 km drive ends in Pulicat Jetty only. Ideal Picnic place for spending nearly 6 hours…
Remember to carry, plenty of Drinking water and snacks, swim wear, Fishing rods, Beach umbrellas, Beach play materials as you are landing in a place with absolutely no amenities..
12. Orchid Gardens at Poonjeri. The new tourist attraction has come up on a 1.75-acre plot on the non-beach front of the ECR, a few yards away from the Mahabalipuram intersection. A reclaimed muddy road leads to the massive canopy that shows the way to the Orchid Gardens.There are nearly 30 varieties of showy and colourful flowers.
13. Alamparai Fort – The ruins of the fort lie near Kadapakkam, a village 50 km from Mahabalipuram on the land overlooking the sea. Two-hour drive down the East Coast Road ( 100 km ) is Kadapakkam. Turn eastwards into the narrow village road and drive for about 3 kilometers till you cross a small bridge. After this, the road turns into a sandy track. A few hundred yards after a right turn at the next fork takes you to the ruins of Alamparai Fort
14. Mayajaal on ECR – they have bowling and cinema theatres.
15. Cholamandalam artist village is located at a distance of about 9 kilometers from the capital city of Chennai. It is a cozy place in the midst of a casuarina grove and is within a short distance from the emerald blue waters of the Bay of Bengal. Cholamandalam is surrounded by a sparsely populated village, Injambakkam. At present Cholamandalam Artistâ€™s Village is the home to 30 painters and sculptors.
16. Chunnambar – is one place where you can go rowing, trekking, fishing and loads more! This lovely beach resort is located in Ariyankuppam, 7 kilometres from Pondicherry, on route to Cuddalore. So you could just pack yourselves and your loved one(s) into your car and just zip away on East Coast Road and reach Chunnambar just in time for a gentle snooze. They close by 5’o clock i guess, so be early to have fun the whole day.